[LAU] Hideous dmix, alsa, jack, realtime and mixing mess

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Sep 22 18:04:14 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 04:31:41PM +0100, Folderol wrote:

> Get Jackasyn for xmms. With that as the default output plugin xmms will
> use jack if it's there or go direct if it isn't
>
> Also, if you use KDE, set arts to use jack then all the KDE, and KDE
> based apps will send their sound to jack as well.

Alsaplayer will output to jack. It's a nice player, apart
from the resampling which is horrible.

This thread set me thinking again - what is the problem
with ALSA's dmix ? Is it

- Bugs and overloaded developers ?
- A fundamental problem with ALSA's design that will never
  be solved ?

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !