[LAU] Programs which use midi control knobs/sliders

Simon Williams simon at systemparadox.co.uk
Sun Sep 23 10:18:39 EDT 2007

Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Parameter-Knobs/Sliders in synth-apps capable to react to
> MIDI-control-messages.

Would you care to name some of these synth-apps?

> So I can alter the subharmonics of the second
> oscillator of a synth-patch

Sounds good, but I'm yet to find a synth which actually responds to midi
controls.

> while playing by comfortably turning a handy
> knob on my MIDI-Keyb.(instead fiddeling around with the mousecursor)

That's exactly why I want to get mine to do things.

>> 3. Is there any Linux software which will make use of them?
>
> YES:
>
> Alsa Modular Synth:

Great, that's sort of what I'm looking for, but how in the world do I
use it? Most of the examples I load want LADSPA plugins that I don't
have, and all the modules have lots of letters in their names with
nothing to tell me what they actually do. And I don't know enough to
create a piano sounding waveform from a bunch of oscillators.

> Ardour:

I can't actually work out how to use Ardour. It's way too complicated
for what I currently need. Does it even have a synth?