[LAU] Audio to midi, finding notes from an mp3

Charles Linart clinart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:43:57 EDT 2007

Oops -- meant to reply to all... sorry about the double post, Chris.

> > Matthias Schönborn wrote:

I have a related question.

Suppose I wanted to get midi output from plain old guitar/audio input.
 Obviously, this is entirely possible.   A hardware midi controller or
soft synth would be necessary, right?

Don't want to spend cash on a hardware midi controller.  Have noodled
around with ZynAddSubFx and have had no success so far; by "no
success," I mean I haven't even been able to input through jack
because my soundcard is apparently not midi-capable and therefore
won't even connect to Zyn.  Anybody have any suggestions that don't
involve investments in hardware?  Dumb as it sounds, I am very
confused about this -- I have seen audio input instantly converted to
midi in a "real" studio through a midi box.  My understanding was that
soft synths should do the same thing.  Is this wrong?

Thanks