[LAU] Delta 1010LT Variable Input & Output levels?

Rick Wright riwright at vt.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:05:48 EDT 2007

To any Delta 1010LT/Envy24control gurus:

First I want to state that I am aware that analog inputs #1 & #2 for
this card can be configured via on-card jumpers to either of 2 Mic
levels or either of 2 Line levels.  My questions below do not pertain to
these jumpers.  (Although in talking about jumper settings for each of
the 2 Line level options here, the manual mentions a "+4 mode" that I'm
not familiar with, so if someone wants to explain that.....it might be
related to my questions below!)  Anyways:

I've been reading the M-Audio manual that came with this card and it
refers to the ability to control the variable input and output levels
for this card.  It mentions a simplified "Consumer" interface with three
radio button options labeled +4dBu, "Consumer" (which the manual
describes as -4dBV), -10dBV.  There is also a more "Advanced" interface
that uses sliders to allow finer grain control of each Input and Output
individually.  What I'm describing here is the PC/Mac control software
that M-Audio distributes with these cards.  Obviously, I'm using this
card in Linux and my control software is Envy24control and Alsamixer.

Questions:

1) Can anyone tell me if the "Consumer" I/O levels (described above)
actually set the hardware on the card to different dynamic range modes?
What I mean here is if this is something *different* than changing the
ADC/DAC slider controls in Envy24control & Alsamixer?

2) Or, are these +4dBu, Consumer (-4dBV), -10dBV buttons, just preset
slider controls that one could manually set on the "Advanced"
slider-based interface.  And if this is the case, is this just doing the
same thing the ADC/DAC slider controls are doing in Envy24control &
Alsamixer?

3) If the PC/Mac control software is actually setting the card to
different I/O range modes, then is this also possible with Envy24control?

Finally, I want to restate that I am not confusing the configurable I/O
range limits with the Mic/Line level jumpers available on the card for
analog inputs #1 & #2.  What I would like to know is if there are other
software configurable I/O range modes that this card is capable of
running in that Envy24control is not exposing.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Rick