[LAU] GNU Denemo chokes a dual core 2 GB server

Jeremiah Benham jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com
Fri Sep 28 14:57:39 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 21:46 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> Well, AFAIK, timidity is the vehicle that carries the audio signal
> over the network, as far as I am able to gather from this behavior:
> timidity seems to start whenever we hit play in denemo; and if kids
> hit playback all at once, both CPUs go to near 100% capacity until we
> do

Ok. I just wondered if timidity was actually the culprit or not.

> That is *really* interesting, because we are able to have several
> students play their compositions at once *so long as* we wait at least
> a few seconds between intiation of playback.

Is the audio coming out of the server or the thin clients themselves?
Does every user log in separate using their own accounts or does
everyone share the same login username and password?

> Cool.  Good to know.  I am wondering when it will make it into the
> edubuntu Feisty repositories.  Maybe never since Gutsy is coming out
> soon and the beta was just released today?

It will probably be a while. I can put together an ubuntu .deb if I knew
it was going to fix the issue for you.

> k, any suggestions for how to launch timidity?  I'm guessing just
>
> $ timidity

yes.

timidity file.mid

Launch that on several clients and see what happens.

> BTW, do you mind me asking what time zone you are in?

I am in Chicago. So CDT I believe.

> Thanks tons for your interest in our school!!!

np. I am just happy people are using denemo.

Jeremiah