[LAU] PulseAudio

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Tue Apr 8 03:53:32 EDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 17:07:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Susan Cragin <susancragin at earthlink.net> wrote:

> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/Errata#Skype_with_PulseAudio
>
> Ubuntu has already switched.
> Check
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

Yes, but the release is scheduled for April 24., so it will be quite
the same time as Mandriva.

However, my experience with pulseaudio from pre-release ubuntu studio
isn't that bad.

I have two soundcards in use, a cheap consumer on pci and an usb
interface, and both get recognised. The only problem I had there was
that the PA-controls are somewhat unusual and it took me a bit to
figure out how to set a default card, which is useful to auto-assign
every app to a specific card, the consumer-thing in my case.

As already mentioned, PA and Portaudio don't work together, no idea if
that will change. Also, I'm not too sure that the alsa emulation layer
does the job to 100%.

Of course, PA and jack don't work together either (at the same time on
the same device(interface?) at least). Both need full access.

So in any case where you need a Portaudio app, a demanding alsa app or
jack you want to shut PA down.

Oh, and I think I had cases where some apps simply didn't show up in
the volume controls, I think VLC was such a case.

Any way, I'm not really impressed but it doesn't really stand in my way,
Ubuntu Studio has a script to shut PA down when you start jack ;)

Best Regards,
	Philipp