[LAU] new! linuxmusicians.com

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:25:26 EDT 2008

> The fragmentation of Linux audio documentation is perhaps an unavoidable
> side-effect of the relative lack of focus in this stage of Linux audio
> development. I don't mean that individual projects are unfocused, I mean
> that there's little sense of a central authority or clearing house for
> relating the activities of various development tracks. Thus, everyone
> goes about their own work with little or no sense of its relationship to
> other activities (other than the ALSA/JACK axis), and this situation is
> perfectly understandable. There are few enough developers working on
> Linux audio projects, and they cannot reasonably be expected to keep up
> with every other development (in Linux and elsewheres).

I think this is also the greatest ailment of the Linux audio community.
Perhaps it stems from the fact that everyone is excited about the 2%
inspiration new project offers but is taken aback when the first 2% finally
disappear and one is left with 98% perspiration. Such projects never go past
the 0.3 version and eventually join the endless ranks of "potentially really
cool but totally buggy and unfinished" software tools.

This is why I've been lobbying hard to get all the online resources into one
place. That's why we have apps.linuxaudio.org docs.linuxaudio.org
lists.linuxaudio.org etc. (yes some of these are placeholders waiting for
users to contribute). We need more perspiration than inspiration at this
point as that will be the only thing that will bring us closer to some of
the noble goals mentioned here.

ico