[LAU] Problems with Delta1010

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 12:29:15 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Thomas Janu <chaos at sieglitzhof.net> wrote:

>  I have a kind of obscure problem regarding my Delta 1010. It worked fine until
>  last night. I did a system update that didn't touch alsa, jack, the kernel or
>  anything. the only packages that had something to do with sound at all were
>  libsoundtouch and ardour. But since that update, i have no analogue output
>  anymore. Since I don't have any equipment that has a digitial in i cannot test
>  that, but MIDI still works fine. I wondered before that everything worked
>  without an /etc/asound.conf file, so I wrote one. But as soon as i write
>  _anything_ in it (be it just "pcm.!default {type hw card 0}"), all the output i
>  get from any media player is that signed 16 bit little endian samples aren't
>  supported by the hardware. Without an asound.conf, i get no errors at all, but
>  also no output. envy24control also shows nothing, and jackd runs until i try to
>  output audio, then it crashes with "cannot access hardware"-messages. i've
>  already updated the kernel from 2.6.23 to 2.6.24, but that doesn't make any
>  difference.
>  I already reinstalled everything that has to do with alsa, but that also made no
>  difference.

I suspect a hardware failure -- I had a delta1010 go out on me several
weeks ago for no apparent reason. Some searches around the net
revealed that these things are susceptible to an onboard component
blowing out (usually a capacitor). The machine it was on dual-booted
to Windows and it also no longer worked there -- all I got was a 60 Hz
hum on both OSes.

-- Brett