[LAU] PulseAudio

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Apr 14 03:22:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:44:00AM +0200, Alberto Botti wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 08/04/2008 alle 09.53 +0200, hollunder at gmx.at ha scritto:
>
> > Of course, PA and jack don't work together either (at the same time on
> > the same device(interface?) at least). Both need full access.
>
> I've not tried it yet, but recent versions of PulseAudio have a JACK
> sink...
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-jack-sink

Maybe I am confused.

Is PulseAudio a replacement for ALSA or does it sit on top of ALSA?

Is it even attempting to be a replacement for JACK in terms of pro-audio real-time low-latency?

Or is it a replacement for esd or whatever sound daemon or the GNOME or KDE daemon thing use?

If so, how is PulseAudio any different from any other desktop sound daemon that JACK users have been disabling since time immemorial?

-ken