[LAU] Cedars ... my CD made with Linux

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Mon Apr 14 14:17:39 EDT 2008

Robin Gareus wrote:
> impressive. Nice mixtures of styles and the sax is magic.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

> A while back when my QY-22 broke I've tried to replace it by MMA [1]. I
> hope to contribute some examples by submitting the mma files for "in a
> sentimental mood" (Duke) and "Spain" (Chick Corea) but i got stuck with
> customizing /slowJazz1Walk/ and actually rehearsing ;) -  I'm not sure
> about copyright issues either..

Yeah, copyright issues. A black hole of confusion. So long as no one
makes a big deal of this I supply a bunch of song files marked "for
educational purposes only". All I can suggest is that folks dl this
package while it is available :)

Please do finish the changes and send them to me. The library, for the
most part, really needs to be tweaked. I just don't have time or
knowledge of all the styles to do a great job.

> FWIW: I've imported the MMA generated midi file into rosegarden  and
> ardour3 & `ghostess-jackmidi /usr/lib/dssi/fluidsynth-dssi.so`. Both
> worked fine and it's easy for playing/recording (MIDI control); although
> the latter combination is a bit edgy ;)

For Cedars I used the -T switch in the latest MMA in combination with
timidity to create separate tracks for each instrument. I imported the
resulting tracks into audacity and fiddled with them there. For a few
tracks I dumped the timidity generated stuff and digitally recorded a
keyboard. Add in the sax ... and there you go.

EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca