[LAU] LittleGPTracker

M-.-n nostromo at arkaos.net
Tue Apr 15 15:28:08 EDT 2008

Hi Atte,

> Very, very nice!

Thanks :)

> I've only worked a bit with trackers, but I'm wondering how much you're
> affecting the songs at performance? I guess it's not "just" playback,
> but could you tell a bit about what realtime control you do?

The control you have live is at the moment mainly related to re-sequencing.
You have to remember this is running on a game console like this:

http://images.gamedev.net/features/reviews/gp2x/image009.jpg

So there's definetly no real time 'playing' possible. But unlike traditional
trackers, the 8 channels are not sync'ed so you can have fun
de/re-structuring at will, depending on your mood. see it a bit like the
clip based structure of ableton live. You can trigger/mute/solo any channel
at any given time. I personally like some kind of structure so I do have a
pretty 'hardwired' song scheme where I can more repeat sections at will
rather than re-shuffle the whole thing.

Soundwise, you can also affect the result while it's playing but depending
whether or not you used a lot of command (that's how tracker do their
'synthesis') you might have a limited amount of option (obviously, if you
'automate' the filter to get some grain, you won't be able to tweak it
live). I still haven't coded channel/master FX and that will give a lot more
freedom in altering the 'sound' during live performance. Obviously, with the
limited amount of button, playing live melodies is always going to be an
issue but I even hope to find a workaround for that.

Although still in its infancy (It's only 3 years old and I probably have for
about two years of coding only with the feature set I have in mind at the
moment) , it does allow quite a lot of sonic flexibility and in my
(father's) eyes, nothing beats it for being able to compose music at any
time, any place :)

Thanks for the interest.
Marc.