[LAU] qjackctl patchbay

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Apr 16 07:02:04 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 05:00:45 schoappied wrote:
> Ray Rashif wrote:
> > On 16/04/2008, *david* <gnome at hawaii.rr.com
> > <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Malte Steiner wrote:
> >     >> How on earth is it possible that you made such a feature and
> >
> >     did explain
> >
> >     >> it after such a long time?  I do not hope that there are more such
> >     >> useful features of programs which are not explained yet...
> >
> > So at the end of the day, do you want better code or better
> > documentation? I would, personally, go with the former. In most cases,
> > the documentation _is_ there - except it's too obvious and it gets
> > missed; man pages. QJackCtl's patchbay saving feature has been around
> > for quite some time, and a lot of guides had it demonstrated in a
> > practical manner - albeit not really explaining it's existence.
>
> Please show us a guide that demonstrated patchbay in a practical
> manner... !
>
> At the end of the day I want a good code and a good documentation. You
> should agree with me that it is a pity if no one uses the app because of
> the lack of clear documentation and publicity.
>
> Documentation is something you should think of if you made a program....
> it the same as musicians, only play will in your own room is not enough
> when you want to play in front of people and/ or play with other people....
>
> Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work of the programmers...
> I'm totally dependent on them or Microsoft ;)
> But I study social science and I know how important good explanation and
> publicity can be....
>
> And yes, I made two short howto's last week and I planning to make more
> in dutch.... cause I can't stand that so less people knows the great
> possibilities of linux audio... It seems that this community makes the
> most open source software, but as a community they stay often 'closed' >
> e.g. just for the diehards and ICT students. Good documentation can
> change this a bit...

No doubt wee need good code and good docs, it is just a question as to who
whould make it and how.

Now, I agree with your point about coders should consider... But what do we do
if thaey lack those skills or the time and yet still produce great code?

I personally still find traditional man pages close to useless. In over ten
years, I have still not managed to wrap my head around them even though I
know I should make greater efforts. However, those man pages that include a
few examples normally prove useful to me.

I don't know that there are any easy solutions to this issue though. Those to
do the work do the work they choose. Unless someone can somehow convince them
to do other work. You are making one such effort. Where will it get us?

> Dirk

all the best,

drew