[LAU] qjackctl patchbay

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Apr 16 13:48:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:53:09 +0200
schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe Hartley wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:00:45 +0200
> > schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Please show us a guide that demonstrated patchbay in a practical
> >> manner... !
> >
> > http://ardour.org/files/manual/sn-bcf2000.html
> >
> > Granted, that's using connections under the MIDI tab, but it works just
> > the same as the Audio patchbay connections.
> >
> That is exactly what I mean... I think I can not find a better
> example....!!!

Thanks.

> So if I understands you right, you have to use Ardour WITH a Behringer
> BCF2000 MIDI control surface, to get to know how the patchbay works...!?!

Honestly, I've found Qjackctl's patchbay amazingly intuitive.  It wasn't
hard to find, either - when I started working with the program, I clicked
on all of the buttons in the main window just to see what they could do.

> And what if I use Rezound and have not a Behringer BCF2000?  :-\

There's a lot of information on using various control surfaces at
http://ardour.org/files/manual/ch-control-surfaces.html  The link I sent
on the BCF2000 was an example I knew of because I wrote it, and it's
BCF2000 specific because that's what I have.

I think Ardour's a great example of a project that has had a group of
people, a number of which are not programmers, create documentation.
I think any sufficiently complex program will have a user community
spring up around it that's willing to add to the collective work.
Something as straightforward and intuitive as Qjackctl, not so much.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com