[LAU] Impro-visor

Ketil Thorgersen linuxuadio at rytmisk.net
Thu Apr 17 04:13:02 EDT 2008

Ketil Thorgersen wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
> There is a java program at
> http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/ which works great on
> linux. It even has the possibility to use band in a box files. It is
> made t function as a playalong program for jazz improvisation, but it
> also generates improvisations and is excellent in my opinion to sketch
> on new song ideas in jazz styles.
>
> Probably closed source though.

As a follow up to my earlier post. I asked about the licence since I
know that that is an important issue for many of you folks out there.
And it is open source apparently. This is the response I got:

 > One more thing: What is the license? Is it some kind of open source or
 > is it free, but closed source?

It is open source (GPL), but distribution is by request. The source
is not in the best of shape, so we try to coordinate who is working
on it. The source will not be of value to the casual observer.
Serious developers who want to cooperate should contact me. The
source is in a subversion repository and any work on the GUI has
to be done in Netbeans for the simple reason that not using the
latter will tend to break things.

Thanks.

Bob Keller

Best