[LAU] How to build or from where to get a Low-Latency-Kernel Source

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:54:10 EDT 2008

> I like to hear is there something I should tweak better or different, as I
> said I have used these since Dapper.

You're good to go. However, a few things to take note of:

* memlock is too low at 250000; 512000 is an ideal number though personally,
I prefer unlimited (2GB of RAM just barely passes with medium-sized projects
in a JACK+Ardour+Hydrogen environment).

* You can build JACK with default tmp as /dev/shm; totally in RAM (no need
for mount options except for /mnt/ramfs which can serve other purposes).

* Reprioritize JACK and your sound card when running real-time. This can be
achieved by appending the following into the "Execute script after Startup"
field of QJackCtl:

chrt -f -p 89 `pidof jackd` && chrt -f -p 99 `pidof IRQ-n` # use "cat
/proc/interrupts" to find out the value of n (sound card IRQ)

Well, these are just "optimisation". In fact, recent kernels and software
have no problem running on a non-RT platform for mediocre tasks.