[LAU] tool practice rhythm

Gilles Degottex gilles.degottex at net2000.ch
Sun Apr 20 11:53:02 EDT 2008

On Sunday, 20 April 2008, schoappied wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 April 2008 09:47, Gilles Degottex wrote:
> >
> >> A lot can be done without a computer nor a teacher ;)
> >>

> > Unfortunately, those methods don't provide feedback.  As a number of
> > guitarists I've worked with have demonstrated, we can't always judge
> > our own rhythmic ability, so feedback is necessary when you're
> > learning.
> >
> > Rob
> >

> Maybe my 'problem' is also in the coordination. I find it hard to clap
> only and constantly on the 'afterbeat'. After a few bars, I just follow
> the beat... I think I need to play more reggae music....
or ska :)

Clap the beat, sing a low note on the beat and a high note on the upbeat. then
slightly diminish the volume of the low note. but when you do not sing the
low note any more, you always have to think it !
Then use the metronome for the beat, think the beat and clap the upbeat.
It can be usefull to "load" your clap in the tempo, on the upbeat for exemple.

Gilles