[LAU] OT: Portable Keyboard

cdr _ at whats-your.name
Tue Apr 22 23:25:50 EDT 2008

On Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 12:51:55AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I'm posting here more out of desperation- I simply cannot find what I'm
> looking for anywhere.

the CME U-Key is pretty suitable for me, but if i could do it again, id get one slimmer and framed with metal

basically i wish Apple made a musical version of their current keyboard line. its easily the best qwerty ive owned, including M series and Thinkpads

> Basically I'm looking to replace my Evolution MK-461c midi controller
> with something of a little bit better quality

> and something capable of
> producing it's own sounds (relying on a computer is often quite
> inconvenient, especially since I haven't yet managed to find/setup good
> enough quality sounds).

while its dirt cheap, i suspect the synth on the UKey isnt up to your requirements. its great for late 80s derrick may pads, thats about it. those happen to be my favorite sounds, though.. heh

probably would be better off with an ESQ-1 off ebay or something? solves the tank-construction issue

or any other thing they made before disintegrating in the late 90s?

otherwise youre going to pay 10x as much for a Korg Radias or at least 3x as much for a XIO 49

> The main problem I'm having is finding something portable. My MK is 5

think it has 49 keys, only familiar with 76 and 88 so my guess may be off

> octaves (61 keys), and measures approx 97cm x 23cm x 9cm. The main point
> is that this thing is a long rectangle. Every single other 5 octave
> keyboard is getting on for square- with the same length, but having a
> depth of about 60cm instead of 23cm. What is going on? I know they put

4 x 20 x 75 cm, i just measured.

> the speakers in there, but seriously? That's hardly portable, and I
> *know* the additional electronics doesn't need to take up that much
> room. The other serious problem with these is that they aren't even flat
> squares - that I might be able to deal with, but all the ones I have
> seen are more like wedge shapes and end up being stupidly high at the
> back as well (again, well over twice the height of my MK).

> The other major problem I have is that I need line out rather than just
> a headphones socket. The main problem with the headphones socket (aside
> from not really being as good for connecting to a PA system) is that it
> mutes the speakers, which isn't very helpful since I'm likely to be
> using PA systems without foldback capability. It seems that I have to go
> to digital piano before I get line out.

U-Key has line-out. 1/8" mini just like the plugs on my radios, soundcards, and amp. convenient..

> Actually, weighted keys would be nice, but again, I have to go to
> digitial piano to get that, and digital piano's are all 7.5-8 octaves,
> which doesn't fit in my car. I've considered the possibility of a 6
> octave, but I don't think that will fit either.
>
> Does such thing as a "portable keyboard" suitable for live performance
> actually exist?

sadly 25-key plastic junk designed to control proprietary/monolithic synth plugins (which then require a PC..) is 95% of the marketplace today

good luck!