[LAU] Decent and attractive audio player

pete shorthose zenadsl6252 at zen.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:38:11 EDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:16:41 +1000
"Loki Davison" <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Well, name says it all, what do people like for an audio player?
> I read this blog post and was wondering if there is something he
> missed as i have somewhat similar experiences,
>
> http://blog.brokenfunction.com/2008/04/26/why-arent-there-any-good-linux-media-players/
>
> I've been using audacious and amarok and both seem to have there
> problems. Amarok makes me think too much about searching and freaks
> out parsing a lot of my collection and seem really, really stupid in a
> few ways. Also i don't like it how it can't just  play from the
> collection, i.e when it finishes that album, just go onto the next,
> etc.  Audacious is ok in a no organisation at all way. I like all my
> music to be easy to search and there is 200gb of it.
>
> Aqualung seems technically just what i want, but the interface is not
> my taste. I find it really ugly and a bit unfriendly.
>
> So what are the options?

xmms!

well almost. the flac plugin went awol on ubuntu and i'm lazy these days so
i checked out audacious. which is also nice but has bugs. and because of the
lazy thing, i didn't report them :(

you might want to look into mpd (various front ends) or xmms2.
but i suspect that you won't find your media player nirvana.

collection databases essentially mandate that you tag all your files consistently
and if you don't, you get headache inducing results when searching.

so like you, i'm still waiting for the RightThingTM to come along.

until that day, it's xmms for me.
sad but true.

cheers,
pete.