[LAU] Decent and attractive audio player

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Apr 27 15:51:11 EDT 2008

Steve Fosdick wrote:
> On 27/04/08 15:23:50, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> I've been using Amarok happily for a while, after abandoning XMMS.
>> However, I just completed a review of Rhythmbox on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy
>>
>> Heron), and I was impressed with it.
>>

> Is that a published review?  Is it available online?  Have they got
> gapless playback to work yet?

I reviewed Rhythmbox and Totem for Linux Pro magazine, but I'm not sure
when the reviews will be published. They were a panic job, written over
the past two days, with no previous significant experience with either
app, and no experience at all with Ubuntu. I ran the Heron from a live
disc and employed ALSA for its sound system. Everything worked nicely, I
had a lot of fun (and some excitement) with the system, and I gave both
programs positive reviews. Btw, these reviews are rather brief, about
2000 words each, they were not intended to be in-depth analyses.

I liked a lot of Rhythmbox's features, and the program handled my needs
neatly enough, but I have a relatively small collection of files and
CDs, perhaps only a few thousand titles in all.

IIRC gapless playback can be activated from the Preferences dialog but
it is not on by default. Sorry, I didn't test it. :(

Best,

dp