[LAU] specimen (what and how)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:26:11 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:41 AM, schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgot to ask:
>
>  Which file output give the best sound?
>
>  - specimen file
>  - soundfont
>  - *.gig file

I don't know enough about specimen to take in depth about that.
However typically the gig files I use generally support multiple
samples / note. The samples are chosen during playback based not only
on what key I hit but also on things like MIDI velocity or controller
settings. GigaStudio (but not LS) can do some very sophisticated
things like live mixing of different samples in the same gig file,
inserting processing on the samples, etc., to get some wonderful
results.

I don't use soundfonts much. The older files I purchased only
supported a single sample / note at that time. This meant to modulate
volume with MIDI velocity all you got was the same sample played
louder which is fine over a limited volume range but generally not
that great from 0-127.

Whatever you choose to use, please don't worry too much about the
stuff above. Just let your ears tell you if you're getting what you
want.

Have fun,
Mark