[LAU] what have i done wrong here.

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 08:46:56 EDT 2008

On 29/04/08 09:05:51, naysayer wrote:

> hey crew.
>
> not sure what i have done wrong here. i upgraded my kernel from
> 2.6.23-rt1 to 2.6.24-rt1 and i have lost my sound. i'm using a rme
> multiface and an onboard intel.
>
> The .config file is virtually exactly the same and the modules load,
> the hdspmixer loads and sound appears to play "into"(as i can see
> levels on channels 1+2) when hdsp mixer using jack but not out alsa
> (no levels on output of the mixer show at all), and alsa doesn't work
> at all.
>
> However, the onboard intel work fine(alsa and jack) when the
> multiface is not plugged in.

I had the same problem with the hdsp card with a MultiFace II
interface. The problem is that the way the matrix mixer is addressed
within the kernel driver has been changed and they got it slightly
wrong.

The problem appeared with the ALSA 1.0.15 which comes as part of kernel
2.6.24. It is fixed in ALSA 1.0.16 but there is also a patch for 1.0.15
here: http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-
January/005309…

The issue affects a vanilla 2.6.24 kernel and has nothing to do with
applying realtime patches.

Regards,
Steve.