[LAU] specimen (what and how)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 12:37:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 8:52 AM, schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:41 AM, schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Forgot to ask:
>  >>
>  >>  Which file output give the best sound?
>  >>
>  >>  - specimen file
>  >>  - soundfont
>  >>  - *.gig file
>  >>
>  >
>  > I don't know enough about specimen to take in depth about that.
>  > However typically the gig files I use generally support multiple
>  > samples / note. The samples are chosen during playback based not only
>  > on what key I hit but also on things like MIDI velocity or controller
>  > settings. GigaStudio (but not LS) can do some very sophisticated
>  > things like live mixing of different samples in the same gig file,
>  > inserting processing on the samples, etc., to get some wonderful
>  > results.
>  >
>  > I don't use soundfonts much. The older files I purchased only
>  > supported a single sample / note at that time. This meant to modulate
>  > volume with MIDI velocity all you got was the same sample played
>  > louder which is fine over a limited volume range but generally not
>  > that great from 0-127.
>  >
>  > Whatever you choose to use, please don't worry too much about the
>  > stuff above. Just let your ears tell you if you're getting what you
>  > want.
>  >
>  > Have fun,
>  > Mark
>  >
>  >
>  Where can I find the best free soundfiles? (I know the place at the
>  linuxsampler forum)...

LinuxSampler is a toy.

the long time best place to go for free gig files always was

http://www.worrasplace.com

however I looked at the site this morning and it seems it's either
messed up or unmaintained at this time. Keep an eye on it as this
happens with that site from time to time. Hopefully it will get well
soon.

- Mark