[LAU] JACK with many soundcards

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Aug 1 04:34:47 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:28:04AM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> While Joe and Paul might not like this idea I can see a million rock
> band addicts who might be very comfortable with a usb guitar or even a
> full band.

The only way I can see to be comfortable with it is by not being
informed of the problems and limitations of such an approach.
You can probably sell it to the ignorant if you get the marketing
right.

Trying to use a collection of (low-quality) interfaces, each of
them having its own sample frequency and expecting the software
to resample and realign everything without introducing significant
latency to me looks like trying to transport a concert piano on
top of four Cooper Minis. For the rock band addicts, a single
4 or 8 input soundcard (or mixer with computer interface) will
be cheaper than the same number of single channel USB devices,
and perform much much better.

Ciao,

--
FA