[LAU] Trying to get rid of xruns

garryo garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 17:05:29 EDT 2008

Matthew Smith wrote:

> <snip/>
>> In an attempt to fix any latency issues, I have used the RT-modified
>> ketchup to get myself a kernel 2.6.25.8-rt7.
> <snip/>
>> Whilst going from the 'low-latency desktop' of my standard kernel to the
>> RT kernel has made a huge difference in the number of xruns that I am
>> seeing on Jack, it hasn't cured them completely.

> <snip>

> 1) Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong?
>
> 2) Does anyone have a .config for a 2.6.24 kernel with the RT patch that
> is working well with Jack that they would be willing to share?  I guess
> that starting from a known-good configuration would be my next logical
> step unless anyone can just spot the error.
>
> Cheers

Hi, Matthew.

Looking at your /proc/interrupts it appears that your sound card
( HDA intel ? ) is sharing an interrupt with a usb port.
It really it needs one to itself.

Assuming your system uses grub bootloader, as root-user edit the file
/boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following to the kernel line ( try one
at a time and then both ) :

	acpi=off

         noapic

so that the boot entry looks something like this ( my system ) :

title	Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24.3-rt3
root	(hd0,4)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.3-rt3 root=/dev/hda5 ro acpi=off noapic
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24.3-rt3

be aware that this may effect the power management facilities of your
box. for example my desktop box no longer turns itself off on shutdown,
i have to switch it off.

hope this helps, best wishes G.