[LAU] make my bassguitar sound good

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:14:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Aurelien <orl at ammd.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:15:06AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote :

>> > Thanks, I'll try eq, compressor/limiter. I don't think I want to put
>> > effects on it.
>> >

>> Mostly it's just me, and I'm not a bass player but I own two, but to
>> me it's mostly about gentle EQ. I find I cannot change the real nature
>> of the instrument itself but rather can just move it a bit in the
>> direction I want it to go.
>>

> You're quite right. Bass sound is very much a matter of fingers (or
> pickups) playing. As every other instruments, actually, but in "current
> music", I think it's really marked.

And strings, strings, strings. Huge difference on a bass. I love
putting a new set of strings on a standard guitar. We all know that
pleasure. But on a bass it seems it's really important to find the
right brand of strings to bring out the best sound the bass has to
offer. I'm lucky to live near a great guitar shop where I could get
some good advice. They were nice even though my two instruments are by
most measures not so good. However they were good and pointed me
toward a couple of different options that worked out well. I don't use
the same strings on each instrument and personally will never
recommend bass strings at all as I think the right choice depends too
much on the instrument.

- Mark