[LAU] Software equivalent of PG-800

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Tue Aug 5 18:27:35 EDT 2008

Quoth Anders Dahnielson at 2008-08-05 21:30...

> I have a JX-10 in my studio and is a bit curious about this. How will a
> software version of the PG-800 communicate with the hardware synth? If
> I'm not mistaken, the PG-800 has it's own custom hardware interface.

I understand your confusion - the PG-800 connects to the synth via a
special cable.

The way that a software patch editor works is by transferring the patch
configuration using MIDI System Exclusive messages - the same way that
you would save a path from the synth to a MIDI storage device and back
again.

The one that Bengan suggests is a Windows programme - I don't know what
running it under something like Wine would do to realtime performance as
I only use VMware which would absolutely kill it.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/