[LAU] My Tascam US-122

Martin Horn martin.horn at ostec.org
Wed Aug 13 15:31:07 EDT 2008

I am an electrical engineer myself and here are the facts again:

If the device has no metal parts which are able to carry a voltage there is
no use for a ground earth, although a lot of notebook power supllies have
one (The reason is that they have standardized connectors and there are
standardized cables for these which are just cheaper because they are used
for a lot of other devices as well which might need a ground earth).

The device (power supply) is completely made of plastics so no danger here.
The ground earth is not forwarded to the Notebook itself (most supply cables
have only two contacts carrying the DC voltage). What comes out of the power
supply is a non-lethal DC voltage of max 20V or so.

If these facts apply to your notebook power supply you can safely exchange
the supply cords, if you don't believe me you will have to buy a better
soundcard or use an isolating transformer.

Greetz