[LAU] cd drive audio output to jack

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Aug 22 13:48:24 EDT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 21. August 2008 schrieb Jeff Sandys:
> How can you get JACK to use the audio from the internal CD drive as a
> source?
> I want to use a song on an audio cd as input to a sound processing program
> like PD.  Currently I use a portable CD player and plug the player audio
> out to the computer line in.  Is there some JACK or ALSA setting or
> application that will make the internal drive an audio source for JACK?

Unless you are _really_ short on disk space you should rip the song from the
cd into an audio-file (for example with cdparanoia) and use the wav-file as
input. It will probably be much more convinient for you when the playback
starts immidiately instead of the cd spinning up, reading the toc, spinning
down seeking the laser to the right position, spinning up, reading the first
seconds, spinning down,...

That is unless you want to be able to use the cd's people bring to you as
input directly at the gig. BTW: mplayer can read cd's and output to jack too.

Have fun,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/