[LAU] Standard Sample Dump with amidi

Mirko Horstmann lowlists at mirkokosmos.net
Fri Aug 29 08:04:37 EDT 2008

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to send samples to a semi-ancient synthesizer (a
Yamaha SY99), which has a sample RAM of 512kB built in. The way I do it,
the synth seems to receive "something" but doesn't really acknowledge
that it has received the whole sample and is acting strange afterwards
(won't make a sound until I turn off and on the machine and then there
seems to be only garbage in the memory).

I understand that the intersection between the sets of SY99 users and
Linux users is probably quite small and that I may have to ask on the
SY99 list at Yahoo what the synth's behaviour means. But I couldn't find
any definite answers as to whether what I do on the Linux side is any
good:

I save the sample as mono, 16bit, 48000kHz (which the synth is
supposed to be able to handle) and in ".sds" format (using Sweep, which
uses libsndfile). The beginning few bytes of that file seem to be
compliant with a midi sysex dump. Then I use the following command to
send it to the synth ("hw:0,0" being the midi port of my M-Audio
Audiophile):

amidi -p hw:0,0 -s sample.sds

Is this supposed to work at all or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mirko