[LAU] PulseAudio and Alsa

Stephen Doonan stephen.doonan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 11:38:58 EDT 2008

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:37:34 -0600
> Stephen Doonan <stephen.doonan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the feeling among Linux audio users about PulseAudio?
>
> Personally I've had virtually no contact with it. The only App. of mine
> that uses it is Audacity, and I find it's behaviour very strange when
> trying to get it to work with jack.

Audacity uses PortAudio, not PulseAudio, right? Two different things,
which only adds to the confusion (in my mind). :-)

I just wonder whether, from a Linux audio/MIDI users point of view,
PulseAudio is intended to become a replacement for ALSA (and that
therefore I ought to learn more about PulseAudio) or whether it will be
regarded as more of a nuisance, another level of complexity, and that it
might be better to try to be pure ALSA instead, with Gnome and KDE sound
servers disabled if possible.

PulseAudio, ESD, aRts, ALSA, jack, and all of their various
interactions, overlapping and possibly mutually exclusive functions,
conflicts, etc., seem to have the potential to create some very
confusing and difficult problems and troubleshooting.

I think I'll scour the 'net a little and read about PulseAudio to become
a little more familiar with exactly what it is and why it exists, what
issues it addresses and what isssues it causes. :-)

Steve