[LAU] video <> sound synchronization

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Dec 2 20:25:32 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 07:07:46AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 00:29:36 Ken Restivo wrote:

> > > I dunno, Ken.  Greater departure from conventional than the groovy
> > > funkalicious stuff you've done on keyboard/bass?
> > >
> > > Blue LEDs could have been Herbie Hancock playing, but for as
> > > complimentary as that observation may be, folks have heard stuff like
> > > that before.
> >
> > Yeah, but that's my point.
> >
> > Blues is as old as the hills, and quite possibly ten times as common. There
> > are great blues guitarists within hailing distance of practically everyone.
> >
> > Why anyone-- let alone 16,000 people-- would have wanted to hear me play
> > blues, is a mystery to me.
>
> It's just not that many people on the youtube scale of things. (I still think
> it might be fun for Packet In to try for a youtube hit...)
>
> Over 7,000 wanted to see my and my paper plane take on a UFO:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmzWrGoNrM
>
> and over 23,000 wanted to see me make a paper plane:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1QealrmLk
>
> Mind you, I understand your puzzleation as I too can't figure why the
> popularities rank as they do for my stuff.

That's hilarious. And exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I guess that explanation makes sense. Maybe YouTube's viewership is just so insanely huge that even mundane things get huge viewerships.

But then again, I'm confused. Paper airplanes and blues guitar get huge viewershihps, but stuff that people really work on getting right and spend money on, gets no viewership? I have friends who've put big money and time into YouTube stuff and gotten nowhere with it. So it just doesn't compute.

Sure, make a video of one of the Packet In songs and put it up there. I'd reckon that you have some nice scenery around where you live that'd make a good video backdrop.

-ken