[LAU] Synchronizing 2 computer with MIDI

Mysth-R mysthr21 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:02:53 EST 2008

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer
2008/11/30 <torbenh at gmx.de>

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:29:15AM +0100, Mysth-R wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yesterday I tried with a friend of mine to synchronize our computers with
> > simple midi cable.
> > We just want to make music together, and synchronize, the transport AND
> the
> > tempo with a Master and a Slave.
> >
> > After hours and hours of tests, we just made the transport sync works.
> But
> > we couldn't sync the tempo.
> >
> > Someone told me on the #LAD IRC, about netjack, but it seems to be to
> "loud"
> > for what we want to do.
>
> can you explain loud ?

Sorry for my bad english. I meant loud in the sense of to complicated,
difficult. Because it is so simple with a midi cable. You wire it, and press
play. and everything is ok.

> > In fact, most of the softs can sync themself each other with JACK
> transport,
> > but can't send Midi Time Code to the midi out.
>
> so why not use netjack ?
> grab current jack release and go.

I understood that the slave computer using netjack backend can't use audio,
or through alsa_out and alsa_in.
I own a firewire sound card, so I think this is not possible for me... is it
?

> it now works over wireless. use celt codec to
> reduce bitrate. should give you 4channels in both directions easiely.
> and i guess you only want 8 channels in one direction.

Does it offers good performances ? latencies speaking ?
I can't really imagine how it works. and how to implement this solution.

> > And when we even they can send Midi Time Code, it can't be sync with jack
> > transport on the other computer.
> >
> > The top would be to find a soft which can act as a bridge between Midi
> Time
> > Code and Jack Transport. like for exemple :
> >
> > First Computer : Seq24 -> Midi Time Code send to Midi out of the Sound
> card.
> > Second computer : -> Midi Time Code received in the Midi In -> bridge on
> > JackTransport -> and then each softs could be sync.
> >
> > The other solution :
> >
> > First Computer : Seq24 -> JACK Transport -> BRIDGEto Midi Time Code send
> > Midi out of the Sound card.
> > Second computer : -> Midi Time Code received in the Midi In -> BRIDGE to
> > JACKTransport -> and then each softs could be sync.
> >
> > Is someone knows a simple solution ?
> > I am a bit disapointed
>
> netjack.
> its even sample accurate.

By the way, Seq24 developpement is bakc, and I saw that midi slave feature
is planned. So ... I just have to be patient.
Cheers,
Mysth-R

--
*