[LAU] Audio Hardware Recommendations

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Dec 9 17:41:27 EST 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 18:04:20 Christopher Stamper wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> > Btw.: all USB soundcards have the same latency.
> I guess that's because USB has a certain required latency? Interesting,
> either way...

Actually with _every_ digital audio you get latency. "Zero Latency" is only
possible in analog audio processing and even there it might fail do to phase-
shifts of capacities and coils.
In the digital world there is always some delay in the analog-digital-
converter and in the digital-analog-converter. There is always some buffering
between the converters and the chip of the sound-device. And then there is the
transport to the pc's ram and cpu (with buffering). So even with PCI-cards you
always have latency. But with usb (and firewire) you have a transport
additional to the pci-bus, which adds extra latency.
And it doesn't matter which usb-device you use, if it uses usb as transport,
they all have the same latency in your machine.

Have fun,

Arnold