[LAU] More linux live on the YouTubes

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Dec 13 19:17:11 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:45:23PM +0000, Folderol wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:25:35 -0800
> Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
>
> > Here are two short clips from last Friday night, of Linux being played live in a jazz-oriented context:
> > tio o
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKqzVDR4wA
> >  ag
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5O-esJ8ko
> >
> > Bass (via fluidsynth) is left hand, Rhodes (fluidsynth going through CAPS amp simulator LADSPA plugin in ecasound) and AZR3 are right hand.
> >
> > The sound quality of the video isn't great, buit the Linux Laptop which is making all the keyboard and bass sounds, is clearly visible in the videos.
> >
> > What's that running on my screen?
> >
> > 1) Emacs (with the setlist and changes of the songs)
> > 2) A core)uple rxvt's
> > 3) Ion3 tiling window manager
> > 4) Xclock so the drummer and I could keep track of our set length
> >
> > A lot of times I close the latop lid. But, when I leave it open, I'd like to have something more interesting showing on screen if it's going to be visible from the audience. Any ideas/suggestions as to what to run, that would be visually interesting, but not too CPU intensive?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -ken
>
> Very good. We can see and hear you're obviously enjoying yourselves.
> It's also nice to put faces to the music :)

Thanks!

For last night's show (with Audiobraille) I took Frank's suggestion and ran meterbridge in old-skool VU mode, and an RXVT with aseqdump, in addition to my Xclock. It made it a bit more interesting to look at for the couple people sitting off to one side of the stage.

The aseqdump scrolling up looks somewhat like a tracker, which I guess might have confused any techno/house/IDM musicians who might have been lurking around back there (there weren't any AFAICT).

Thanks again!

-ken