[LAU] Creative Common License and Rerecordings/Concerts

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 09:32:28 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 02:37:32PM +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> But what does that mean for the music itself, the composition. If someone now plays one of my songs himself...?
> Is this covered by the license? Are people allowed or is this a complete different matter?

Hi Nils! I've listed to your music, and I like it!

AFAIK, if someone uses one of your songs to make a cover or a
derivative version, it is an "Adaptation" as defined by the CC license,
they must give credit to you and the adaptation must be published also
under CC-by-sa license. Public performance of an adapted work is
permitted by the license.

This is an excerpt of the full CC-by-sa:

  "Adaptation" means a work based upon the Work, or upon the Work and
  other pre-existing works, such as a translation, adaptation,
  derivative work, arrangement of music or other alterations of a
  literary or artistic work, or phonogram or performance and includes
  cinematographic adaptations or any other form in which the Work may
  be recast, transformed, or adapted including in any form recognizably
  derived from the original[...]

More information about the Linux-audio-user mailing list