[LAU] linux audio: confusing as ever

sam javor zekthedeadcow at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 21 19:45:36 EST 2008

> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:27:38 +1100
> From: gurusonic at gmail.com
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
> Subject: Re: [LAU] linux audio: confusing as ever
>

> Florin Andrei wrote:
> > http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blog/index.php/2008/12/19/linux-audio-confusing-as-ever/
> >
> > What can I say - the author does have a point. :-/
> >
> Guess they don't have a profanity filter for comments. It sure generated
> a few flames!
> To the point of the blogger - yes pulse audio has problems, especially
> for new users.

Maybe I'm weird... but I've never had any unusual problems besides
dealing with priority with multiple soundcards... (which isn't
unusual)  but I switched to Linux using an Edirol FA66 from XP using an
Aardvark Q10... and the aardvark, for the first couple months, was
CONVINCED it was an ethernet card... had to disable DHCP to record! :)

My
point is.  No system is 'right'... look what happened to OSX with
AppleUSBaudio.kext earlier this year - talk about a disaster - If I
owned a Mac I'd have run into a Mac Store to slug the first salesman I
saw. - (summary is all USB audio devices older than a year stopped
working and Apple didn't do anything for about three months... people
were pirating older versions of the file to get it to work)

peace
sam