[LAU] jackd, libasound_module_pcm_jack.so, custom pcm devices in asoundrc

R Dicaire kritek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 16:16:22 EST 2008

Hi folks...Once upon a time, using Ubuntu Edgy, and rebuilding
libasound2 plugins to include libasound_module_pcm_jack.so, I was able
to successfully use skype with jack, using a custom pcm device
specified in .asoundrc:

pcm.skype {
   type plug
   slave {
     pcm "configvoip"
   }
}

pcm.configvoip {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
      0 system:playback_1
      1 system:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
      0 system:capture_1
      1 system:capture_1
    }
}

The sound card in question is an M-Audio Delta 44 (ice1712).
The above configuration worked flawlessly, but due to issues with
other sound applications using jack, I was forced to attempt various
upgrades of jack, alsa, kernels, and even distributions. Eventually I
settled on Debian Lenny, which includes the alsa jack pcm plugin by
default, unlike Ubuntu, and now have few if any issues with
jack-capable sounds apps. However, I cannot use skype with the above
configuration on any consistent basis because for reasons unknown,
when I make a skype call, and the alsa jack plugin is invoked, that
thread may last a few seconds, the thread dies, and crashes jackd in
doing so.

Currently I'm using a custom RT kernel, 2.6.26.8-rt12-daw1, and stock
versions of alsa*/jack* that Debian Lenny uses as of todays date.

alsa-base:                1.0.17dfsg-4
libasound2:              1.0.16-2
libasound2-plugins: 1.0.16-1+b1

libjack:                       0.109.2-3
jackd:                         0.109.2-3

skype:                        1.4.0.118 (yes, I tried 2.x and got same result)

So, some questions. How would I go about troubleshooting the cause of
the dying thread, and subsequent crashing of jackd?

How do I determine the alsa version of the ice1712 driver used in
kernel 2.6.28.8, alsa website shows 1.0.18a as current driver version.

I can play 16 bit 44k1 wav files fine using aplay -D skype
/path/to/file, from jack_lsp:

alsa-jack.configvoipP.18769.0:out_000
alsa-jack.configvoipP.18769.0:out_001

Any thoughts, directions, etc would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present:
http://www.ardynet.com