[LAU] disappointing experience with firewire

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Dec 31 11:46:54 EST 2008

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 17:29:23 Florian Faber wrote:
> > Now my question to those who also tried firewire audio: was it a success
> > story for you from the beginning or did anybody make similar experiences
> > and how did you proceed further?
> Wenn Du kuerzestmoegliche Latenz brauchst und mit dem Notebook arbeiten
> MUSST, dann wirst Du nicht um etwas wie eine RME Multiface/Digiface
> herumkommen - mit PCMCIA-Adapter. Firewire ist leider nicht wirklich
> brauchbar in der Hinsicht.

First: This is still an english-speaking list...

Second: That might be your oppinion, but its not a universal rule. I did use
my firewire-setup with great success for live-foh-mixing and foh-effects. Yes, I
did have low-latency. Firewire is capable of that...
And I don't think buying an expensive RME pcmcia interface will help Susanne
because her pcmcia-slot is sharing its interrupt with the graphics card.
Regardless whether there is a modem, a fw-controller or a rme-interface in
there, its always sharing its interrupt with the (nvidia-)graphics card...

Have fun,

Arnold