[LAU] OT: 32-bit vs 64-bit speeds

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Feb 4 05:09:13 EST 2008

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2008 schrieb david:
> Just curious, but I've heard that 64-bit OSes are slower than 32-bit
> ones. That seems odd to me. Any truth to it?

Please stop spreading that old and wrong myth. There once was a time when
intel 64bit processors where slower with 32bit apps then with native 64bit
apps. I don't know if that still holds. Just because there is no (bundled)
64bit windows coming with that new computers, doesn't mean that 64bit is bad.

From my experience (doing math number crunching with doubles on big data read
from disk) 64bit 1.8GHz is faster then 32bit 2x2.8GHz....

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---