[LAU] ALSA device not found by some users... why?

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Thu Feb 7 03:18:46 EST 2008

Tim Black wrote:
> User mpd2 needs access to ALSA devices bc I'm running MPD (music
> player daemon) as this user. When this daemon tries to access ALSA
> device hw:0,0, it gets an "Error opening ALSA device: hw:0,0 No such
> device" error.  (But if I run the daemon as 'tim' or root there are
> no such errors.)

When the device nodes in /dev/snd/ are created dynamically (with udev),
it's possible that their permissions are set by the udev rules and do
not come from the directory.

When you log in as mpd2, what are the permissions of the files in
/dev/snd/?  Do you get the expected result when doing "cat
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c"?  (The expected result is "file descriptor in bad
state".)

> BIAMP SYSTEMS EMAIL NOTICE
> The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and
> may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you
> are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this
> information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and
> delete the original message from your mail system.

*** DISCLAIMER ***
This e-mail contains public information intended for any subscriber of
this mailing list and for anybody else who bothers to read it; it will
be copied, disclosed and distributed to the public.  If you think you
are not the intended recipient, please commit suicide immediately.
These terms apply also to any e-mails quoted in, referenced from, or
answering this e-mail, and supersede any disclaimers in those e-mails.
Additionally, disclaimers in those e-mails will incur legal processing
fees of $42 per line; you have agreed to this by reading this
disclaimer.
*** END OF DISCLAIMER ***

Regards,
Clemens