[LAU] xrun killing: ubuntu realtime kernel, layla 3g card combining ADAT and analog i/o

Patrice bpatrice at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 9 07:20:24 EST 2008

Sean Corbett wrote:
>> Your AMD dual-core is not 64 bit?
>>
>> In my case, I have also an AMD dual-core (64) but I run 64Studio 32 bit
>> version.
>>
>> Also, the fact that your soundcard shares an interrupts with other
>> devices is (I think... correct me someone if I'm wrong) less than ideal.
>>
>> Is it possible to try another PCI slot, thus giving its own IRQ to your
>> Echo card?
>>
>> --
>> Patrice Brousseau
>> bpatrice at sympatico.ca
>>

> I have two (32-bit) AMD Athlon MP 2800's (an older Tyan motherboard,
> the Tiger MPX).  It still performs very well though.  I will try
> swapping PCI slots, though this seems to be more related to the
> software side of things, because as I said when I use just the analog
> i/o (the first 8 channels, i.e. hw:0,0) and not the alsa multi plugin,
> Jack suddenly becomes ridiculously rock-solid (it's actually *hard* to
> get xruns, even running at 64 frames).  Such a vast difference in
> performance almost has to be software related, probably (as the
> previously linked web site mentioned) something clock-related but then
> I don't know much about what's going on at the driver level.

Oh, I see...

On my side I didn't succeed to run without distortion (but no xruns
strangely!!) with jack 103 or without xruns (with jackdmp) at lower
frames, i.e. 64 samples.

It's weird because I can easily run at 64 samples under WinXP under
heavy cpu load...

I have an Echo Mia first generation BTW coupled with an Athlon XP 3800+
dual-core on a Gigabyte K8U-939 (Uli chipset).

To go back to your situation, I do not know what to suggest and I hope
your problem will be solved soon.

--
Patrice Brousseau
bpatrice at sympatico.ca