[LAU] rme fireface 400 on debian?

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sun Feb 10 16:07:46 EST 2008

eva sjuve wrote:
> hi all
> is anyone using this? I'm considering new hardware, but want to find out
> first if there are drivers available?

The fireface uses a custom protocol over firewire which RME dont want to
give out, hence no drivers.
In general, when I remember the freebob lecture on last years LAC
correctly, Firewire is not capable to be driven with a really small
latency. Best bet are RME products using PCMCIA for laptops or PCI Cards
for stationary computers, which are quite well supported, but check the
mentioned alsa table first.

I wonder if the new PCI ExpressCard of RME for ExpressCard slot, which
seems to be the new standard on laptops, works already under Linux.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next event:
29.feb Notstandskomitee live at Linux Audio Conference Cologne, Germany