[LAU] Multiple M-Audio Delta 1010s

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Feb 13 13:18:45 EST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:03:25 -0800
Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> > When I took
> > apart the breakout box, I saw a quadrupling circuit on the left hand side
> > of the bottom board (toward the front of the case, underneath the small
> > board that's on top) that had a couple of oozing caps.
>
> That happens more often in electronic equipment than the public generally knows.
> Remember the laptop battery recall from months ago?  I've seen quite
> a few recalls for capacitor problems over the last 3 decades of
> working in the electronics industry, first as a part-time soldering
> and assembly person, and now as an analog IC designer.

There was a brand of motherboards that famously had capacitor issues
a couple of years ago as well.  I'm glad that having worked throughout
my high school years as an electronic assembler, I know which end of the
soldering iron to hold.  I've been able to revive a lot of "dead" gear
over the years!

> > The 35v caps are recommended, it was the underspec'ing of the caps that was
> > causing the problems in the first place.
>
> Did you measure the voltage somehow, or did you get documentation
> from M-Audio somehow to figure out the new recommended voltage rating?

I remembered a discussion on the Planet CCRMA list about the caps when I had
my problem, and there was a great post from someone who knew more theory
than I did about why 25v was too small for the circuit, and that 35v was
the way to go.

> Excellent write-up.  Thanks a bunch!

No problem; we all learn something when we post our successes here.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com
    129 Petta. Lake Rd,  Saunderstown, RI 02874 - vox 401.338.9214