[LAU] OT: online music sales sites

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:39:35 EST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 9:11 PM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> There appears to be one online music sales site for every musician out there.
>
> Well, maybe not quite that extreme. But, as has always been the case, the money isn't in being a musician, it's in selling the tools to musicians (instruments, software, t-shirt printing, etc., and now online music sales services). I suppose it's always been this way, dating back to the explosion of people selling HTML editors to aspiring web designers (and network equipment to aspiring ISP's) in the 1990's, to the people selling shovels to the gold miners in California in 1849.
>
> I've looked into Magnatune and iThinkMusic, and I've got some stuff on MusicSupervisor. My drummer put one of our band's tracks on SnoCap (we sold exactly zero). Somewhere I have a VIRB.com account, which I wasn't able to use much because its posting system requires Flash (which doesn't work on my 64-bit Linux machine). Someone on another list pointed me to Nimbit.com, which looks pretty good so far.
>
> Is anyone having any success with any of these sites for making any money selling tracks?
>
> -ken

I was thinking about this the other day. It can't be that hard to set
up music sales site and get money via paypal, have downloads in
flac/mp3/ogg automagically transcoded on upload from the original
flac. All the ones i've seen seem very for profit or very not
opensource. Maybe it could be an alternative... despite the many
closed source style sites already around.  Maybe some percent of sales
goes to bandwidth cost? Would be pretty minimal though.

Loki