[LAU] Echo Layla20 weirdness

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Feb 14 16:36:06 EST 2008

Figured a MIDI interface and some proper audio I/O would be handy, so
I decided to try getting my old 20 bit Layla to work with my new box:

	Gentoo, 2.6.24-gentoo SMP PREEMPT x86_64
	Kernel ALSA drivers - not the external ebuild.
	MB:	ASUS Striker Extreme (nForce 680i)
	CPU:	Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600
	RAM:	4x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix
	VGA:	2x GeForce 8800GT 1GB (SLI)

The snd_layla20 module failed with these messages:
[   59.492710] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC1] enabled at IRQ 16
[   59.492713] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:06.0[A] -> Link [APC1] ->
GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[   59.813576] ALSA sound/pci/echoaudio/echoaudio_dsp.c:56:
wait_handshake(): Timeout waiting for DSP
[   59.834543] ALSA sound/pci/echoaudio/echoaudio_dsp.c:56:
wait_handshake(): Timeout waiting for DSP
[   59.855509] ALSA sound/pci/echoaudio/echoaudio_dsp.c:56:
wait_handshake(): Timeout waiting for DSP
[   59.856108] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:06.0 disabled
[   59.856122] Echoaudio Layla20: probe of 0000:02:06.0 failed with
error -5

This happens pretty much every time I try to load the driver. Once in
a while it'll actually initialize properly, and I had it working with
echomixer monitoring all inputs for a good while - but sooner or
later I get a DSP timeout again, and the driver is dead. Happened
pretty much instantly when I started JACK.

Now, I suspect that this has something to do with everyone wanting to
use IRQ 16, and 8800 cards and Echo sound cards supposedly not being
very keen on sharing IRQs at all. The Layla shares IRQ 16 with one of
the SATA controllers and the two video cards.

Unfortunately, the BIOS offers no IRQ routing configurability
whatsoever, and moving cards around is not an option due to the SLI
configuration. The SATA controller that uses IRQ 16 (SiI 3132) is not
used, but it doesn't seem to be possible to disable only that one in
the BIOS.

So, is it at all possible for Linux to change the IRQ routing on an
nForce 680i motherboard?

Anything else that might help?

And, does anyone here have a 20 bit Layla working on anything like my
system? (Would be kind of nice to know if the drivers actually still
work on *any* setup...)

Thanks,

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |