[LAU] [OT] Another problem with creative commons licenses [UPDATE]

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Feb 20 15:29:48 EST 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 12:46:59 Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> > Here's the story: I published some tracks of mine at opsound.org. At the
> > time I submitted these tracks, the license was by-nc-sa, which is the
> > same license I've always used for all the other websites where I've put
> > my stuff.
> >
> > Now they've changed the license and removed the non-commercial clause.
> > As a result of this, may more websites (which crawl the content from
> > opsound) host my tracks with the by-sa license.
> >
> > Could they do this? What can I do now?
> >
> > -c.
> I received a mail from opsound. It seems that the license has always
> been by-sa.

I was just researching that for you...

I went to the wayback machine.


That is the earliest page I could get to. Apr 07, 2003

I has been straight BY-SA since then.
> Most websites that host music don't require any license at all. You just
> have to be the copyright holder and you must agree to let them publish
> your music on their website. Other sites, like Jamendo, let you choose
> which cc license you want to use.
> Probably, when I submitted my tracks it wasn't clear enough (at least to
> me) that the music should be licensed that way.

So, it may be that those tracks are BY-SA and you may not be able to do much 
about it as far as people who already have them go.

However, just FYI and the information of any else in a similar boat.

If someone wants to include your BY-SA music in a film or video, the film or 
video has to use the BY-SA license as well. If they are unwilling to make the 
film BY-SA, then you can get paid for an lsternate license just like someone 
who wanted to use an NC track or even an ARR work.

Again, not legal advice, but look into the workings for yourself if you are 
> Anyway, sorry for the noise.
> -c.

all the best,


More information about the Linux-audio-user mailing list