[LAU] tool to seperate elements of a song

Sebastian Tschöpel tschoseb at tu-cottbus.de
Sat Feb 23 04:11:08 EST 2008

> > A musician can be trained to mentally separate the parts of an
> > orchestra; why could not a machine do the same ?

@daemian

There isn't just a big leap from machine to musician but also: You can
focus on (not seperate) certain instruments to quasi-isolate the
important part. Thats just a question of pratice. schoappied asked for a
program to "switch off" certain instruments which i doubt even a
conductor is able to do inside his brain.

And when i said it's impossible, i thought of the possibilities that are
currently available. You could be right: This hasn't to be impossible at
all but imho under some strong assumptions:

- we are able to collect and compute all the necessary information with
our senses and brain to perform this "switch off" ( i doubt that )
- we would learn what these information are
- we could teach a machine to do that

Thus, i think it would need a lot more, especially imagination :)

@schoappied

I forgot to ask: What do you want to do with the isolated tracks anyway?
Maybe there's another work-around.

--
Best regards,
Sebastian.