[LAU] [jack] not running (permissions)[solved]

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Sat Jan 5 19:15:21 EST 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:46:13AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> JACK more or  less requires exclusive access to  the audio interface
> hardware. If you want to  run an application that does not interface
> with JACK (and these  days, most music-creation related applications
> do), you do have to stop JACK.

That's  not  entirely  true.   If  you install  alsa-plugins  you  can
configure alsa to default to the jack plugin.  See the instructions at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_%28plugin%29  .   This lets  me
run  prboom through  JACK even  though prboom  is not  JACK-aware: the
ALSA configuration silently reroutes prboom through JACK.

This  isn't  a  surefire  solution:  it depends  on  your  application
respecting the ALSA default.  If the app *insists* on talking straight
to  the  hardware then  you're  stuck.   Also  some apps  like  mpg123
complain about  samplerate issues that I haven't  fixed.  I'm assuming
that they *are* fixable, I just haven't got round to doing it.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty