[LAU] ArdourVST - Latency Management

Sebastian Tschöpel tschoseb at tu-cottbus.de
Tue Jan 8 12:20:50 EST 2008

Hi.

  > LADSPA plugins report their latency, and Ardour compensates. Your VST
> plugins probably don't report any latency.

I am pretty sure, that VST's have a build-in method to report their
latency. I remember such a thing in the VST- SDK a long time ago and
Paul Davis stated the following comment in the Ardour forum.....

"reuben, actually VST has the [latency reporting] mechanism, and its
LADSPA that sort of doesn’t. Steve Harris and I came up with a kludge
solution for LADSPA (an output control port called “latency”), and a few
other LADSPA developers supported it. in VST, its a host->plugin
callback called getInitialDelay()."
(source: http://ardour.org/node/761)

> Try inserting the "Artificial latency" plugin from the swh-plugins

mhmmm... that doesn't work. However, the latency of the swh plugin gets
compensated like it should be. I tried several VST- plugins and always
had the same problem. So it seems not to be a problem of a certain plugin.

best,
sebastian.