[LAU] Resonance

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Jan 10 13:44:40 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:25:42PM -1000, david wrote:
> Folderol wrote:
>
> >> A few months ago, my drummer was watching me lovingly and idly turning knobs on my synth, for no really good reason, while we were waiting for the bass player to set up or tune up, and remarked, "Hmm. I'll bet all you synth guys really like breasts, don't you?"
> >>
> >> This one does, anyway.
> >>
> >> -ken
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Mind you I always thought there was something a bit dodgy about
> > drummers and bass players. Notice how often they seem to be away in a
> > world of their own :)
>
> I think drummers are in a permanent trance state brought on by
> repetitive motions and sounds.

I have noticed that the drummer is *always* the funniest guy in the band. By far.

That's because humor is.... timing. Hard to beat the drummer for hitting the punchline at exactly the right moment.

Plus, they tend to be quiet too. So when they do speak up it has a certain effect.

> Don't know about bassists - perhaps its brought on by the physiological
> effects of loud low-frequency sounds on brain tissues.

The best bass players-- real bass players, not guitar players who got demoted-- I've worked with are intensely kinesthetic. They always seem to have the best feel for the music of anyone in the band. I've found that, in rehearsals and writing/arranging/recording sessions, if what you're playing is making the bass player happy, then the audience will be happy with it too.

-ken